Topic: Next Round 0.8o Dates

I'm going on vacation soon, so there will be no speed or havoc games, just straight into a new round.  All current accounts will be cleared sometime today and sign-ups enabled for the next round.

Next Round Dates:
Start - Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 15:00 Game Time
End - Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 15:00 Game Time

http://postal.alliancewars.com/images/postalsig_small.gif
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Re: Next Round 0.8o Dates

Thanks for the quick turnaround Postal, I appreciate it.
Let's see how much retention we have now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/biggre/Infantry.jpg

Only two days for sign-ups postal?  Might be tough for some people, but vacation is vacation.  Can't wait for sign-ups to open.

There's always a Dark Knight after a long day.

Dear Devs,

It seems like your all very busy and have little to no time to reset rounds. I can't imagine starting and stopping a round can be very hard. I am willing to write a script for it. I know my behavior in the past hasn't been the best and therefore you might not trust me with it. As a solution to that, you could send me a short message with which tables need to be truncated in which database.

The only stuff you should have to change yourself then is the register page, the login page and the ticker script.

Kind regards,
Emuk

Dear Postal,

I am curious as to when the sign-ups for next round will start.  I am also curious that when said sign-ups start if the round will start like a day or two later to ensure all that want to sign-up can sign-up as 1 day of sign-ups is a pretty small window.

Thank you much,
The Dark Knight

Sign-ups are now open. 

Dark Knight:
The round will have to start as posted.

Emuk:
We do have a script to reset the database for each round.  We don't for starting and stopping a round.  That is only about a half hour of work and testing, but I've never got around to it since it only takes a couple seconds to start or stop a round manually.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

7 (edited by The Dark Knight 2008-08-21 10:44:40)

Dear Postal,

This is a request that you will most likely not grant, but I need to put it out here anyway.  It would be in alliance wars best interest to extend the sign-up period and start the round later than planned.  I know you most likely cannot/will not do this, but it would greatly help the round as this one day sign-up may curb any attempt to sustain the userbase from last round.  I understand this is probably impossible to stop as you have already announced it, but it really would allow more people to start on an even footing and make the round more enjoyable for everyone invovled.

I also understand you already replied to my earlier request with a resounding no, but 47 accounts created would easily be doubled I believe if you extended it a further day.

Sincerely,
The Dark Knight

I would if I could, but I am leaving on vacation in a couple hours.  I likley won't have internet access where I'm going.

Is there anyway that you could do as you suggested to Emuk and attempt to write the script for starting and stopping a round at a specific time.  You implied it would take a short amount of time to do, and I understand if that is not possible (packing for vacation, arguing with the rest of family as to whether your even going, etc.).  Or give access to someone knowledgable who has been on recently that you can trust (would say NighT as I have seen him on lately and he has helped with Alliance Wars projects in past).  But obviously, this is just wishful thinking on my part.  Round starts in one hour, and with only 47 accounts currently it is the smallest starting number of accounts in my memory.  Have fun on vacation Postal, sadly I'm now being confined to my asylum as school is starting again sad.