Topic: Charting the Interest for Open Source Development of This Game

I thought I should drop at least a line to see if there is interest for contributing in the development of the game. It would be a shame to see the game go, but the reality is that I hardly have time to even post this message at the moment.

So I just ask if You, the players, would be interested in coding the game if the current source code was opened to the public?

In short opensourcing the game would make it possible to use your talents to fix the current problems and create something new. All kinds of talents would be needed, coders, graphic artist, html/css wizards and perhaps even musicians.

I haven't had the time to reply to Postal, but so far the issue is on the table and I would be willing to do code reviews and maintain the coding infrastructure and Postal said that he would like to manage the design decisions.

So ask yourself are you willing to contribute and spread the word to those who have once played to see if there's interest.

I try to reply to any questions you may have, but as I said at this moment my time resources are quite limited.

http://jacq.alliancewars.com/Jacq.png
We both said a lot of things you're going to regret. - GLaDOS

Re: Charting the Interest for Open Source Development of This Game

Greetings to everyone I haven't seen in a very long time- long time no speak!

On the topic of development:

Mordie and I sent a proposal to postal regarding interest in ex-HC members doing some work for the game a while ago. I don't know if our proposal was ever discussed with you, Jacq?

I would be very interested in coding for the game and have done quite alot of PHP development since I last played AW, however, that said, in my opinion the biggest issue with the game isn't lack of development so much as lack of a playerbase and overall oversight by the dev team. I hope this isn't in any way construed as a slight; but you've admitted that you lack the time to commit to the game.

From my perspective the biggest things which need to be addressed is having someone/people who are highly active actually running the game. By this I mean making sure that each round starts as soon as one ends, problems within the game are addressed quickly and decisions are made transparently and openly perhaps through a development blog? The number of players would also need to receive an injection- making the game run more smoothly would maintain the numbers more but we also need to recover the numbers by a significant extent. I think with an active oversight we could get alot more players to play just through word of mouth.

I'm also unsure if completely open source development of a web based game is really feasible. If more active people were maintaining the code there is no reason they couldn't put up requests for HTML redesigns, snippets of PHP code and graphics work which the developer could then choose whether to include, but a true open source development would be messy in my opinion.

I can't vouch that Mordie and others completely agree with what I've just posted, but I think thats the gist of it at least.

I can understand hesitancy to 'surrender' the game but I honestly don't think people would be interested in spending significant time coding if the maintaing and administration of the game was left to those who admit that they lack the time to do it...

^_^

Well ... all I can say is that your suggestion sounds reasonable. I haven't heard about (or at least recall hearing about) your suggestion, but surely that is a viable option.

In addition to what you have said above we could also think of opening up just parts or APIs of the game for skinning the game for example.

If you need somebody for the designing part, I maybe can help. I've done some designs lately for multiple sites. I even have made some small designs for other text based games. I'm only good at photoshopping, and a bit of html so if I can help in that part, please let me know.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpKP0uJcXxSv6w-lz4fj5W42teCkiUsAjmClKsJiryyA4aHX9aUuunFgc

I think you phrased it very well Maro.

beta 0.8: Solo of Hoth, beta 0.8a: Nomad of Solitude, beta 0.8b: Magick of Hentor, 
beta 0.8c: Cor Khalom of Swampweed, beta 0.8d: Oberon of Midgaard, beta 0.8e: Captain Iglo of Primafrost,
beta 0.8f: Mandragon of Warship, beta 0.8g: Henkil

I'd be willing to chip in for some content since I really have none of the aforementioned skills smile

All we need to keep out player base at least stable is faster turnaround times on rounds (regardless of havoc and speed) and some minor bugs fixed. Though I'd love to see some new content in the near future personally.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/biggre/Infantry.jpg

If you're interested in trying this, do you have any idea how long it would take for a decision to be reached?

In my opinion the greatest resource is the playerbase and the community and the longer the game stays closed the less players we're going to have when/if another round starts.

If you're okay with this our ambition would be to get a couple of speed rounds running as soon as we get a reliable server up. During the speed rounds we'd try to get the word out to previous players and hope word-of-mouth spreads and we can get a viable playerbase ready.

We'd also be extremely interested in getting HTML, Design and Content work done by members of the community such as Desp and biggre- design and content doesn't have to be looked after securely like code so this could be done very easily before we investigate updating the code itself.

It would probably take a few weeks to even get a speed round running, let alone being in a position to start any new development...

^_^

*looks at Desperros sig*

*wonders if we'll see DragonballZ troops in aw in the near future*

beta 0.8: Solo of Hoth, beta 0.8a: Nomad of Solitude, beta 0.8b: Magick of Hentor, 
beta 0.8c: Cor Khalom of Swampweed, beta 0.8d: Oberon of Midgaard, beta 0.8e: Captain Iglo of Primafrost,
beta 0.8f: Mandragon of Warship, beta 0.8g: Henkil

hehe lets hope not smile kamehameha blasts blasting away the dominators ^^
Maro, I get the point that if lots of people work on it, it takes a lot of time.

Let me get this right. Maro and Mordie want to dev the game and will contact members to help with some stuff.
That correct?

Desp

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpKP0uJcXxSv6w-lz4fj5W42teCkiUsAjmClKsJiryyA4aHX9aUuunFgc

Effectively, yeah.

Coding would be done by just a few people. HTML, CSS and graphics could be done by anyone who's interested in helping.

^_^

Sounds like a good plan to me, since the coding part is the biggest part.
You got my blessing ^^

12 (edited by biggre 2009-02-02 17:41:03)

I've got a scanner, finger paints and MSPaint, so I can lead the graphics team ^.^

I think Zerth has the MSPaint part covered. Too bad I couldn't find the portfolio anywhere (you know what I mean wink ).

But yeah. Your concern about the playerbase has some merits, but perhaps Postal should comment here too. I'll return to this thread after a week with some more time.

Anyone had any more thoughts?

^_^

I approve this course of action, but I'm not certain if opening the code would lead to second coming of AW. Most certainly it would be interesting to see what is under the hood.

Anyway, it would be fun to talk with some of the 'oldies' again and get back together, as it was fun to play AW together.. I can't see why developing would make it any different. ( sarcasm? )

I can be found idling at the old disbanded #LoP channel once in a month, for an hour.. So you can try to catch me there tongue

sounds like a good plan maro and mordie!

Anymore word from the dev team?

^_^

I know that when i told Thom to come back to AW he asked "is there anything new?" after i said "not really" then he was no longer interested.... i think if there was some more content that more of the "old" players would be back...... as well i know that Thom just graduated in Computer Science, and Sui has had his share of website design..... as well i have done some php before and html/css i have also played around in lightwave 7.0 and photoshop(i can get by, just don't expect anything TOO good on the graphics side tongue) i'm not sure how much they will be into doing that nor how much time i'll have for that.... but i mean it's likely that people will be willing to get this idea off the ground. And the more people the better.....

I think we should have the original Dev team stay around as CEOs and the rest come on as a consulting team or something..... We could have a goup of trusted people above the programmers making the calls on what to have done to the code, and what to do when errors occur, and the programmers can simply code. As well the graphic designers could likely work independently. And if there is some good comment on the code by the programmers there could be a small team that looks into the bugs section here online and sift through the bugs to see what's important and what is not, what should go to the programmers as real programming bugs, and what should go to the CEOs as rule changes. It seems that there are a lot of people interested in helping, i'd just hate to have this project taken from your hands. It could be a great game, and you could make some money off of it too! I'd hate for it to end up in someone else's hands and for someone else to reap the benefits of your hard labour.

There truly are many people interested in helping make AW active again. A player base supported game sounds great.

For the graphics, something as simple of having a pool of those interested in doing them and saying "this is what we need, x by x pixels, these colors, we'll take the one that best fits what goes along with our design". That'd give lots of options and wouldn't burden anyone down.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to respond lately, but I'll look into this now. I got royally screwed by my professor at the university so it took me a month of extra work to graduate, but I did!

I'm all for the idea of having a team of volunteers to code and maintain the game. There's many issues that have to be addressed first, but none of them insurmountable.

I'll return to this as soon as possible. I hope it won't take a week this time wink

22 (edited by Bacon 2009-05-05 21:18:53)

Although I haven't played a single round in maybe 2 years, I'd definitely be interested in hacking some stuff together. (kind of weird that I just happened to check out the game again today smile).

I think it'd be a totally feasible idea to have somewhere between a dev. team and open source; like a loosely tied team of coders who could each opt to code certain parts up. Basically, open source enough so anyone can offer their talents, but team-based enough so that there's a good idea of who's doing what.

I really think that the biggest overreaching flaw to the game is the beta feel to it. Granted, the game caters to a specific subset of internet nerds who like this kind of thing, but I think the community involvement and stream of new content would do lots to boost the game. Plus, all the new people who help code the game are likely to market the hell out of it!

Well, whatever happens ill be checking in on the status of the game when i can and/or remember. If i can help with anything feel free to contact me at Bafhouse03@hotmal.com or if AW is back in business shoot me an e-mail and ill be back on. Real sad about the game being locked up T_T

Wow I cant believe it..... I've played this game since 8th grade and it is finally closed. I have not been active in a while , but I loved this game. I am going to have to let Fury know tomorrow. We are both in College now, OSU baby! Going to miss this game...Wish there was something that I could do, unfortunately I know nothing about programming or design, or I would devote myself to helping out with all of this. I will how ever return if and when the game starts back up again.  : ( shoot me an Email will you if the game picks back up. xdowsky@gmail.com

I read most posts... tongue I haven't logged in ages, so forgive me for not reading all the posts.
In any case, if anyone needs a creative writer of sorts, let me know. My email is mades4@gmail.com (don't bother spamming it though tongue since it's not my primary email tongue but do send any requests of any sort there smile)

As I was saying, I'm a creative writer, and I believe it could be interesting to develop a story of sorts for the game itself. So, if any future mods (or Jacq) are interested by the idea, just drop me a line at my email. But don't add this email to your msn, since this is merely a secondary email address.

EMAIL: mades4@gmail.com

AAAAAAAAH! The Spiders! The Spiders are here!

What? ME paranoid??? Nooo!!!! I am sane!