Topic: An Open Letter

This is a brief open letter to the Alliance Wars community as a whole.  Please read carefully, and consider before replying.  I would note that it appears I still have some moderation abilities.

It has come to my attention recently that there is a "Lithium" alliance playing this round, and that this alliance has claimed to have among its membership numerous former Lithium members, myself included.  While this action may be considered flattering by some, I take great offense to this act.  I am not playing Alliance Wars at the moment, and I am most certainly not a part of this "Lithium" alliance.  While I have no power to change the alliance name, or enforce its dissolution, I politely request that those responsible individuals take the following actions:
(1) Admit that this Lithium alliance has no connection to the former Lithium alliance founded by myself in Round 3 of Planetarion and later carried over to Alliance Wars Alpha Testing round and through to Beta 0.8d.
(2) Cease any indication, suggestion, or otherwise cryptic remarks that would indicate that I, or any other former Lithium members who are not currently doing so, are a member of or supporter of this alliance.
(3) Publicly apologize for, whether inadvertently or not, misrepresenting, misusing, and generally sullying my good name as well as those of the other former Lithium members you are misrepresenting.

I retired from this game due to real life issues taking up too much of my time, not because I turned my back on a community that I spent many countless hours with.  Multiple members of this community tracked me down and contacted me to ask if I was playing, which is a testament to the bond we shared, and continue to share.  This bond does not, and is not likely to, exist between the members of this new "Lithium" alliance; even moreso, it is unlikely to exist between the new members and those former members who committed themselves to the betterment of this game and to interpersonal relationships that span the globe.  There are few people I would be willing to fly across an ocean to see and meet, but many of those members of Lithium I gamed with are the exception.
Real life issues are still taking large amounts of my time, and while I have taken up a minor role in another online game, Alliance Wars is still a fond memory - but that is all.  I enjoy my memories of Alliance Wars, I enjoy my memories with those individuals I was blessed enough to share years of gaming experience with, and I enjoyed the comraderie that I have found nowhere else.

I will ask only once more - cease this offensive mockery of myself, my former alliance mates, and the legacy we created.  The last thing I want is to be drawn back into a game I have long since been forced to walk away from to once again prove the power, the might, the comraderie, the community, and yes, the family, that Lithium once were.  We can beat you, and we will if we have to.  I only ask that you don't make me.
Sincerely,

FancyPants
a.k.a. Andrew
Lithium Alliance Leader and Founder

Re: An Open Letter

As a long standing member of Lithium, i'm also more than a little annoyed to see our name taken in vain...... whats going on here?

Optimism is the triumph of hope over experience

3 (edited by Oponn 2008-11-02 23:31:39)

I already posted to have it changed in Community. I think someone is messing around... The alliance leader posted this in their alliance info:

Please relay this back to FancyPants: The person we thought was him is in fact not him but someone impersonating him. He claimed to be FancyPants. I am the only former member of Lithium it appears and I wish there were more. I apologize if we misrepresented anyone here, but I can guarantee I will not soil my old alliance\'s name. We will have #1 or I will die trying (figure of speech won\'t actually die, but I will try my absolute hardest).

Beta 0.8b:  Jarvin of Praetoria 1:833 Rank: 20, Number 2 Baleenar
Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3
Legion Commander, The Confederate Legion!
http://halo3.junk.ws/sig/Vendetto/1970.jpg

heh, I am not sure whether to be offended, or just amused by this.;

Life is the teacher,
Pain is the lesson,
Scars are your diploma.

Well my whole alliance was deleted.... Including myself, yet lithium is still there.

Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3

Hopefully everything works itself out for FancyPants and the true Lithium. Haven't seen the name stealing in awhile.

Remember to raise the bar but do not give into astonishment.

oh yeah, we are sooo damned cool that people need to steal our name!

Life is the teacher,
Pain is the lesson,
Scars are your diploma.

I'm not gona flame anyone or anything, I just want to bring up 2 points quickly. First, I don't see the name Lithium being trademarked or anything. This is a game where it doesn't really make sense to do something like that at all. So if someone uses that name, who cares? Why take offensive on this?

Secondly, 

I retired from this game due to real life issues taking up too much of my time, not because I turned my back on a community that I spent many countless hours with.

You retired from this game because of real issues, then why come back and try and claim the name back and make an issue of this?

No hard feelings.

smile

It's because the name has been used for over 6 years in the game as representing a specific group of people, by using the name Lithium, you not only claim that you are the original Lithium members, but you also bring on all the hate that comes with it, Lithium, while not being overly obnoxious outside of the game, were usually hated in it, for whatever reasons smile
I know when I saw the Lithium alliance, I was excited and started contacting my friends to see who had formed it, and when no one on my buddy list accepted responsibility, I was confused.

I wouldn't call Myst as a random event ... more like constant storm

planetarion and space miners both have a lithium alliance.

11 (edited by Revan I 2008-11-10 19:18:59)

It shows respect to not take a name of an alliance, of which is/has been part of the community for so long. Like Zerth said Lithium is so damn cool(old) hehe wink to have their name taken.  It's that simple, Kelmos. With the round resetting, we'll see if the issue resolves it.

@Oppon I am not sure but Lithium was originally from planetarion, right?

Remember to raise the bar but do not give into astonishment.

Yes, but, there's one there now, as well in multiple other games.

Our Lithium has its roots in Planetarium (before my time), so yes, those players and their new members will likely still exist in other games. That really isn't the point.

Any former member of Lithium here in Alliance Wars will surely understand why it is that the rest of us are bothered by the use of the Lithium name, when none of us who still keep in touch and consider ourselves friends aside from the game had any knowledge of it. The fact that this alliance falsely claimed to have specific players within the alliance and that the leader has chosen to keep his/her identity a secret only make the situation more frustrating.

I also hope that the reset will take care of the situation, and that we don't have to deal with the issue again. I also hope that if the creator of the last round's Lithium is really an old Lit member, that he/she stops by to visit, as we've been having a good time getting everyone together lately. (gamesurge, #aw)

<Zerth> scouts aren't ships
<Zerth> they are balsa wood gliders with elastic band guns
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/373/cookie5jf.jpg

I've had contact with Lithium members for a very long time. I remember Fancy telling a mutual friend of ours to join Planetarion where we got a feel for the game for one round, and then he recommended AW to us. Although originally he did not let us join Lit right away, due to our lack of playing experience, we still had ties.

Lithium taught me to play the game, they taught me how to use IRC, and friendships were built. We eventually started our own alliance, Renegade Elite, and allied with Lithium so that our members could get experience from Lit players who were inherently good at the game. Eventually our members were encouraged to join Lithium or vice versa.

Cookie you say, "Any former member of Lithium here in Alliance Wars will surely understand why it is that the rest of us are bothered by the use of the Lithium name".

Let me say, as one who is not ex-Lithium, excluding one round wink, that I was/am bothered by the name stealing. Why? Maybe for different reasons. Maybe it's because the name holds sentimental value. Or maybe it is because my friends who were Lithium were bothered by it. But I do know what bothered me was the idea that the name stealing was intentional. This was not a case of some new player coming into alliance wars and using a name out of sheer ignorance. If you believe that this game has something different than most online games, that being community, then you should be equally bothered by the fact that something like this would happen.

It doesn't take any skill to plagiarize off of someone else's thunder. I would challenge whoever did it to make their own name to be equally respected. I don't think anyone can disagree with me when I say that those who saw that name in the alliance list had a chill run up their spine, whether it be out of excitement or terror tongue.

I would like to take this chance to challenge everyone in AW to build their own name for themselves and leave name stealing out of the picture.

Kelmos wrote:

I'm not gona flame anyone or anything, I just want to bring up 2 points quickly. First, I don't see the name Lithium being trademarked or anything. This is a game where it doesn't really make sense to do something like that at all. So if someone uses that name, who cares? Why take offensive on this?

Secondly, 

I retired from this game due to real life issues taking up too much of my time, not because I turned my back on a community that I spent many countless hours with.

You retired from this game because of real issues, then why come back and try and claim the name back and make an issue of this?

No hard feelings.

smile

No, it's not trademarked. You're right. Please, go ahead, name your alliance Lithium. Or Legion of Perkele. Or Band of Brothers. Just don't expect any of the old members of said "veteran" alliances to neither respect nor fear your alliance because of it. If anything, expect to be looked down on with contempt. Which, frankly, is what I do with the people who now obviously took the name Lithium to feel... bigger. In some way.

As said, it takes no skill to walk in another mans glory. Add to that, it takes no devotion either.

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style2,Whoppa.png

Ofcourse, to pick a name of a former alliance is wrong, but maybe it is better to focus on the real problems of AW instead of  this incident?

At the moment there are playing less than 100 people in a real round. When I retired two years ago, this was the amount of people that played a speedround and even that was too low.  The playerbase is decreasing every round, in a couple of months, or maybe even a year the last people will quit this game, and all your fantastic history (including mines) about this game would be lost. At that moment no one will even know that there was a lithium. So if some people stole your name, get your Lithium friends back and show the whole community why they are not Lithium, and the playerbase will increase a bit.

That is better than making a hassle about it with a result that the people that still play this game will be devided by two. And if you want to write long posts, spend it on activities that will get new players to this game and not to scare them away. Save the game instead of destroying it and maybe some retired players will come back as well. But how I see it as the moment, there are no real reasons to come back.

Round 5: 1:305 Rabbithunter of  Konatsate Gua
Round 6: 1:126 Lightbringer  of  Zetten BoB #11
Round 7: 1:2 Konstantinnidis of Naxos BoB SD
Round 7: 1:2 Nely of Dirksland Guild #19
Round 8: 1:53 Dark Knight of Forest GotL SD

/me goes to create the BoB alliance tongue

Optimism is the triumph of hope over experience

sigh -.- Glimi got a point there though

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpKP0uJcXxSv6w-lz4fj5W42teCkiUsAjmClKsJiryyA4aHX9aUuunFgc

I would like to make a post.  While I'm disgusted that someone would name themselves "Lithium" or as they are now calling themselves, and we can assume it is the same people, "New Lithium", I believe that at this point in time it is ridiculous for people to get angry at them for doing so.  It is nearly hypocritical to say they stole your name, as many who are claiming this are not even playing the game at the moment.  I understand that it inappropriate in the extreme and shows apparent low maturity and low self esteem, but if you don't want your alliance name "dishonored" then create the alliance yourself instead of stepping away from the game.  If anything as Zerth said you should be honored that someone is attempting to take your name, regardless of their intent or experience, as that means you at least made an impact on that person or set of people.  I wish that I could say the same thing.

But this bring me to what seems to be the new topic of this thread, the game is in a pathetically sorry state.  So sorry that I considered not even playing this round as I believe the competition to be nearly nonexistant and losing its edge.  Not to say that I am by no means the best player, but that the userbase is so pitifully small that it ruins most of the fun remaining in the game.  In fact, Oponn has caused me to become aware of Planetarion and I have begun to play that game luckily starting near the beginning of the round.  I dislike its pay to play features but naturally it brought me to two thoughts:
1)  This is what Alliance Wars could have been (and may with diminishing hope) become if time and effort was once again expounded upon into this game.  I believe that there are players out here that have the intelligence, the time, and the effort to begin coding if given the chance.  Obviously this would force Postal to perhaps engage in his last exhausting effor to find a predecessor or set of them to finish this game.
2)  It made me realize how much Alliance Wars has lost in the short time I've been playing. 
And I wish that I could single handidly bring it back, but I can't we need a concentrated effort to revive it, and I know I would be willing to help if shown a way to help (this could include doing testing or as little as ordering supplies for those that need it wink ).  But this game is on a respirator and the only way to save it is for all of us to chip in and bye it the artificial lung to keep it going tongue.

That's my piece take it or leave it.  I appreciate what everyone here is doing or attempting to do to raise awareness but that is not enough.  Stop talking, start doing.

There's always a Dark Knight after a long day.

I really don't want to be involved in some debate, but just for the record... some of you who say that we are doing nothing to revive the game and aren't even playing should ask what we are doing before you declare that you know what we are doing. You're wrong.

As far as I can tell, most of us have let it go because 1- we have no control over it, and 2- we're all too busy having fun talking to each other to worry about it.

I believe this thread could be locked now, as it was never really meant to be a discussion topic in the first place.

<Zerth> scouts aren't ships
<Zerth> they are balsa wood gliders with elastic band guns
http://img29.exs.cx/img29/373/cookie5jf.jpg

Why close the topic? I think we are finally getting a discussion about the more important things in AW.  Dark knight is right that we should start doing something. But it has no use to do somehting, before we decided what to do.

In my last two years, I did checked the forum once in the few months, and I can assure you that 5 new posts was a max. I gave some suggestions about how to improve the game, how to restore the game, but no one really bothered about it anyway. Eventhough, it is very easy to restore the game, that people will play again. It is even possible to announce a big round, and invite anyone who is in the database to play this "big" round, and get some new players from other games. People are playing stupid games like f.e. barafrance. There are a lot of people that play hattrick, TLK and things like that. I just checked TLK, more than 1000 people played it, and this game is less interesting than AW is. So I believe there are people around that want to play this game.

Remove the community partn (worst decision ever for a very small memberbase);
Reduce the tech points needed;
give the old extra -1 defence to alliance members (as it was a long time ago);
Make sure that eta 4, eta 3 on cic is not possible anymore, every attack should be able to be defended);
etc.

The moderators can close this topic, because this is not about the same subject as the topic implies, but I really do not care about the topic of this post.

Round 5: 1:305 Rabbithunter of  Konatsate Gua
Round 6: 1:126 Lightbringer  of  Zetten BoB #11
Round 7: 1:2 Konstantinnidis of Naxos BoB SD
Round 7: 1:2 Nely of Dirksland Guild #19
Round 8: 1:53 Dark Knight of Forest GotL SD

Cookie wrote:

I really don't want to be involved in some debate, but just for the record... some of you who say that we are doing nothing to revive the game and aren't even playing should ask what we are doing before you declare that you know what we are doing. You're wrong.

As far as I can tell, most of us have let it go because 1- we have no control over it, and 2- we're all too busy having fun talking to each other to worry about it.

I believe this thread could be locked now, as it was never really meant to be a discussion topic in the first place.

Too true, we have no control because the people who do never granted anyone else any and look where that has gotten us, to the point where no one can do anything.  The problem with this thread and any other thread that has diverged into this topic is the key component missing, the devs.  The fact that they rarely post except to say how busy their lives are is the problem.  We can say things until we are blue in the face, but we will never get anything done without them. 
And may I ask Cookie what it is that you guys are doing?  I'm sorry that I refrained from doing so originally, I'd be fascinated to see what you are doing to improve the game.

There's always a Dark Knight after a long day.

I think it is time to stop talking about this issue and start doing some real action. We talked about getting more members to this game, but there is no action in doing it!
As I join the IRC channel #AW I see people who are opped from who I thought they quited this game a long time ago. Are they still moderating and thinking about development or just idling and get op because they did something good 2 years ago (which is still good, but its time to get some active people on that position). And where are the devs btw?? I tried to contact them about making this game more interesting for new players but I never got any reply what so ever...

Dark Knight said it also: I'd be fascinated to see what you are doing to improve the game.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpKP0uJcXxSv6w-lz4fj5W42teCkiUsAjmClKsJiryyA4aHX9aUuunFgc

Dude, I'd also like to see this game improve, but the dev's don't have time to work on the game. They also have a real life. So just think about that also smile (that was for all the devs reading this thread thinking that we think you are useless, but it's not true) But it's not like this. I think this game just needs an upgrade some time soon to bring back old players and new players.

Also, is AW being advertised anywhere ?

hehe well same here though, you guys are doing a good job. But if you need help in coding or advertisement, there are a lot of people willing to help out smile