Topic: Riddle Me This

I have always found this to be a great forum thread, and it usually invites lots of activity.  It is a simple thread really, I post a riddle or logic puzzle, and people answer.  If you guess wrong you have to wait until another person guesses before you can guess again.  Not sure what the prize would be, but there will be some reward for the winner.  And don't cheat, I'm not sure which ones are on the internet, but don't ruin it!

The First riddle: (hopefully a nice easy one to get started, has lots of answers too)
What goes up and down yet stays in its place, no matter year or time or space?

~good luck, have fun

There's always a Dark Knight after a long day.

2 (edited by Emuk 2008-10-02 15:15:57)

Re: Riddle Me This

I have a few ideas, but none are fully true.....

Lets give it a try
- The sun
- The stockmarket
- A bascule << Had to look up the english word for this xD

The sun is a good idea, and would sort of work however it does only does so from the perspective of earth.  And it technically is constantly moving.
A bascule bridge technically also doesn't work because it can go up and down yes for some time but eventually would wear down during time and it also is effected by space, etc.  Had no clue what Bascule was until I looked it up on wikipedia wink
The stockmarket is within the real zipcode of the thing I was looking for.  It still however can ultimately fail by time as all human things do. 

These are all pretty close and could work in a certain light.  However, I think there are still better ones.  Come on people start posting, thanks Emuk for starting things off here.  If no one posts in a day you can feel free to post another answer.

Easy.... Stairs

Nicely done Zjinn.  There was a more lewd answer that also worked, but that was what I was going for.  So I've decided I'll keep a running point tally, and the winner will get some super prize.  Free T-Shirt, something neat...not sure what.

Standings are:
Zjinn-1

2nd Puzzle: Okay one of the oldest lateral thinking puzzles here we go (really simple)

A man lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every day, he takes the elevator to the first floor to go to work or to go shopping. When he returns, he always takes the elevator to the seventh floor and then walks the remaining flights of stairs to his apartment on the tenth floor. Why does he do this?

you forgot the rest of it... he rides all the way to the tenth when he's with someone, and when it's raining he also goes all the way to ten, he hates climbing the stairs but he still does it... why?

(i know the answer)

Beta 0.8b:  Jarvin of Praetoria 1:833 Rank: 20, Number 2 Baleenar
Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3
Legion Commander, The Confederate Legion!
http://halo3.junk.ws/sig/Vendetto/1970.jpg

7 (edited by Oponn 2008-10-03 18:15:43)

I have one as well:

A man goes out to drink every night, until the wee hours of the morning. He drinks his fill and never gets drunk. He needs this drink to live, and he drinks it warm and straight from the source. This drink is hugely popular, but seldom consumed. What is the drink?

and another:

With pointed fangs it sits in wait,
With piercing force its doles out fate,
Over bloodless victims proclaiming its might,
Eternally joining in a single bite.
What am I?

Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3

First one was simple especially when you read the second one wink.  First one answer is blood, he's a vampire. 

Second one really made me think, but bloodless and eternally joining gave that away too.  Definately a tough one though, the answer is: a stapler.

For my puzzle, I didn't have the rest of it because it made the answer too obvious wink.  Also I had forgotten about the raining part of it, would have used that part if I'd remembered it, but the friend part is way too obvious.

Not bad though...waiting for someone to answer my second puzzle. (Oponn I know that you know it so I'll give you a point, send me the answer via PM to prove it though tongue)

The guy is a midgit. Or a little person if we are being politically correct. tongue

I wouldn't call Myst as a random event ... more like constant storm

Nicely done Suicine.  I'll give you a point, I was looking for little person so I wouldn't get sued wink.

Standings:
Suicine, Oponn, Djinn~1

Third Puzzle:
When Gertrude entered the plane she caused her own death and the deaths of 200 people. Yet she was never blamed or criticized for her actions. Why?

gertrude was a bird.

Nicely done Oponn, seems as if you know all of these.  Meh.

Standings:
Oponn~2
Djinn, Suicine~1

Riddle Four: (should be easy)
I see in the dark but not in the light,
I walk on my hands but still cannot write.
Can you tell me why this is right?

I have a book... I love riddles. Here's one I changed up a bit:
I easily scare,
but I cannot care,
even after death I do not fade,
present throughout only the day,
forever earthbound,
never leaving the ground,
can never be maimed,
because i feel no pain.

14 (edited by Oponn 2008-10-04 18:42:48)

I'm thinking that your riddle tdk, is a clock. sees the numbers in dark, but not in light, (of the clock face) walks on the hands(minute/hour hand) and obviously can't write, but it's right for a clock smile

or maybe a typewriter? or a bat?

15 (edited by The Dark Knight 2008-10-04 21:29:59)

Hmm, I guess a clock could work.  But not the answer I was looking for, it's a confusing riddle to be sure.   There is a better answer than a clock though (at least I thought so).  The language makes it a confusing riddle (was translated from an early latin one, translation may be off), the concept I thought was easy.

Your riddle is tough, my guess is the sun but it is not technically earthbound.  I will have to think about it a little more.  Definitely tricky.  Got it finally, shadow is the answer! smile  Loved the riddle, great one.

Lol thanks smile. Um I have though hard about yours, but I can't think of anything that would fit it better than a clock.

Riddle Four: (adapted to make more sense)
I see in the dark but not in the light,
I walk with my hands but still cannot write.
Can you tell me why this is right?

I changed one word in order for it to make more sense, clock still applies but I'm hoping it makes the real answer more clear.  It would still work with on, but I thought this made it make more sense.  Like I said they had problems in translation with this one (I had a riddle book too).

no idea.

riddle four: A blind man

Oh that makes sense.

Nicely done Zjinn, was afraid I was going to have to give away the answer.  Okay here are the standings:
Zjinn, Oponn~2
Suicine~1

Fifth Puzzle: (Pretty ambiguous I know...)

A man lay dead next to a piece of string and a tattered cloth. How did he die?

He was flying a kite and was struck by lightning.

Good job, might have to start sticking to riddles, as it seems you know all the logic puzzles.
Standings:
Oponn~3
Zjinn~2
Suicine~1

Sixth Puzzle: (a riddle sorta)

What is it that gets wetter as it dries?

24 (edited by Zjinn 2008-10-07 09:32:58)

Sixth Puzzle: A towel

Nicely done Zjinn, tie for first!  In basically a two man race, since NO one else is posting here.  Ahh well...

Seventh Puzzle: (this one should be rather difficult to the extreme)

There are Knights and Dragons that fight every day. Rather than using conventional medieval weapons, they battle with poisons.  There are 8 numbered wells which appear to be filled with water, but are actually all filled with poisons. The poisons vary in power, poison from well 1 is the weakest, poison from well 2 is a little stronger, 3 stronger etc. Also, if someone/thing is poisoned, they can be cured by drinking poison from a higher well. I.E. A knight drinks poison 3, he goes to well 6 and cures himself. Both the knights and dragons have access to wells 1-7, but only the dragons have access to well 8, so the dragons continually kill the knights by giving them the superior poison and curing themselves with poison 8.

One day however, a knights is able to kill a dragon and cure himself.
How is this done, using only the poison system.