Topic: Revival.

I started playing this game almost five years ago. That's an incredibly long time. I was nowhere near the best player, or the best alliance leader. I've had my shining moments and several darkest hours. But the worst thing that I have seen is the state that Alliance Wars is in now. It's inactive. There's nobody here. We need to get other people interested in this game. We need to get Alliance Wars back on the map for internet gaming and show people that this game can be fun. What we need is for everyone who reads these forums to go and vote for Alliance Wars on all the mmo game sites that it's available on. Maybe the devs can help with that? We need to get alliance members registered and active in the forums. There needs to be incentives for people to play this game. Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm bored. I have nothing to do but go bowling and see movies at the theater. You can only watch Ironman and The Hulk so many times before it doesn't seem as cool anymore. I'm halfway through my Uncle's movie collection too. Please people, let's revive Alliance Wars. Contact the old alliances, Lithium, Legions of Perkele, Shen al Calhar, Church of Cistral, and see if they'd be interested in gaming it up some more. I know I would, and I'd bring some people back, but only if more people came back.

When I first joined this game, there were 800 accounts. Now look how many there are. It's dying.

Beta 0.8b:  Jarvin of Praetoria 1:833 Rank: 20, Number 2 Baleenar
Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3
Legion Commander, The Confederate Legion!
http://halo3.junk.ws/sig/Vendetto/1970.jpg

Re: Revival.

Edit..

"When I first joined the game, there were 800 accounts. Now look how many there are. ITS DEAD"

What really killed alliance wars, was the latest lay-off, it was over a month between rounds.  Because last round we had fairly decent activity really, over 400 accounts.  But that 1 month lay-off took away a lot of the activity that was left.  And it's not quite dead yet control+alt+delete, there is still a little flicker of life.  And where there's life there's hope.

There's always a Dark Knight after a long day.

Um, it's been dead for about a year now.

Beta 0.8e: Stark of Westeros 1:674 Rank: 9, Numer 6 Ogarth; Havoc, rank: 3, Speed #1, rank: 3

Well then, should we all just quit and give up the game since you think it is "dead"?  Or would you be kind enough to bring back some of your buddies and make the game "live" again?  Just curious here...

Ummm... i vote yes you should move on. The developers aren't as jumpy as they used to be. (No offense) but it would give them more of their private life. I havent seen mystify in months.

The Dark Knight- Since I'm guessing you're alliance is probably "owning" you would've been crushed if you had played during its prime.
Oponn- how many members where there? 800-900. We even had a second universe at one point.

But yeah.. I would move on since this game is basically old and with only 100 ish members then Jacq and Postal can go back to their good ol' lives smile

7 (edited by mynx 2008-07-01 06:57:41)

if postal ever reads this, how did you get so many players in the first place, it would be good to breathe new life into this game.

i guess my reason is because i met so many really great people through Lit/LoP/OoS/RE/HoC/CoC/BoB or simply the game in general, but also i'd like this game finished because it seems pretty fun to me still, and would be more fun if it would be finished. so get your act together player-testers, ask of the developers where you can help and then help, and i think first things first, we should have an alliance wars irc channel back, and advertise the game on game sites - tis and awesome 'old skool' game in development.

and postal you get your act together too, do you need donations? should i learn php (though i have a feeling that is *slightly* easier said than done)?

and also, hi postal, how you doing? how's 'real life' treating you? i hope your family is very well.

edit: i'm a bit prone to typo errors

mynxems
Semper Feacibus Summus, Sole Profundum Varieat
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,mynx,black,green.png

can someone with almighty powers move this to the general discussion forum, for i think it is strongly related to AW...

mynxems

At ctrl+alt+delete- First off our alliance isn't "owning" anyone.  Second off, you say we would be crushed if we played against the good alliances in alliance wars' prime (and I absolutely hate these completely baseless kind of statements anyway), yet that is impossible to prove because there is no way to tell.  Unless...you were to actually do as Oponn and Mynx suggested and get the "good players" of the past back and get activity back up.  But obviously, this game is too old for you to possibly try to do anything to fix it. 
And I agree with Mynx that it would be nice if some of the stuff got coded and/or new stuff introduced that hasn't already been planned, if the dev team can fit it into their schedule.  I am also willing to help in any way possible, even if it means bringing coffee to keep you awake and working.

Dark Knight, you should read some of my old posts from when I was new to the game wink You remind me a lot of my own arrogance, and you would have been owned so fast your monitor would spin.

11 (edited by The Dark Knight 2008-07-01 10:41:47)

Perhaps...but I doubt it. tongue wink  Nah I'm sure some experienced player could "own" me, but ironically my monitor already spins. wink

Oh and I just read some of your testimonial and I just want to note that most of your authors you listed are my favorites.  Can't wait for George Martin and Robert (R.I.P.) Jordan to get their new books out.  Also was disappointed when Jordan died, as he had alas only one book left in the series sad

Mynx. I'm pretty sure that the game was popular before rune scape or WOW was found. That might have a lot to due with the inactivity of the game. I'm pretty sure that the game will never reach 400 people ever again. Not unless you have a lot of people cheating.

It could reach 400 and beyond if (I can only speak for myself) I had time to devote to the game. Currently there is none. I can hardly check the forums now and then.

There is a heap of plans that could be done on the game, but they would need someone to make them real. Also the thought of opening the source of the game has been tossed around. That would require some momentum and people willing to donate time on coding.

But yeah. This game was and still is a good thing (tm) and it could still attract many. There's just too many ifs involved at least in my end.

http://jacq.alliancewars.com/Jacq.png
We both said a lot of things you're going to regret. - GLaDOS

I don't expect one person to code it all... unfortunately I left coding back in highschool and never cared too much for it since. We would need commitment in order for the game to get going again, but I personally don't know if that will even happen

I'm still of the impression that as long as rounds started within a week of the previous round ending we'd have a steady increase in population. I've noticed that trend, we have the biggest loss in population when we have 1-2 month periods where nothing is happening and there are no announcements when the next round starts. Even with a lack of content, which isn't really an issue with me we can still keep the player base by just keeping things running smoothly.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/biggre/Infantry.jpg

a quick restart of rounds would be good in future i guess, then people who are new don't forget about the game.

and, postal if you need any help in the way that we the community (limited as it is currently) can supply, please do post in the announcements about what you need. i guess graphics and things like that many people would be able to do...
perhaps it is an idea also to publish at least the a few of the plans which haven't been integrated yet.

and ctr+alt+delete and dark knight please keep you bickering to another thread, though i suggest you both stop.

mynxems

Quick Restart would be awesome. Jacq, is there a way, (coming from someone who knows absolutely nothing about coding) to make an automatic restart script? And Dark Knight, they are awesome authors wink

A bit off the topic here, but this is in general discussion.  Oponn, have you ever read Terry Goodkind?  Writes the Sword of Truth series...they are great books too, up there with Jordan and Brooks and Martin.

19 (edited by Glimi 2008-07-04 09:06:43)

As long as the server is up and running, this game can survive. I do not think that voting on the game outside really helps. Maybe it is a good thing to add it on wikipedia as browser game, but that is all the advertisement at the moment. The advertisement is not the problem, but the  decreasing activity over the last five years is.

In my honest opinion, the game is really great eventhough it is not ready yet.  I do not know what changed since I retired two years ago, but I think that the same problems are still around. Many things that have gone wrong in the past (and maybe even I had some bad influence on this) , can still be corrected.

The dev team always said that the most important part was testing and that the players come on the second place. We can al see the result of this, but even this could be used without destroying the mood of the players. For the regular players only one thing is important, that the game is always running, no long down times between rounds and things like this. Another fact is that the rounds most of the time last too long! After one month, there is most of the time one large alliance dominating the galaxy, killing everyone on a daily basis etc. When this happens, people leave the game because they are bored. In my opinion, at a moment like this, the game should be stopped immidiatly and another round should be started within two weeks. So most people kan keep playing interested. New people who joined one or two weeks before, do not care to start over, because they 'think' that they have a new chance. Maybe even an active player, who checks this and with a conversation with the biggest alliances decide to start over. Keep the activity and the rounds going!!!! And why not mail the entire forum database that a new round is starting every time? This result in more sign ups, but this has to be done really well!!

The community is still a problem, I do not know if AW still has that stupid community part of the forum, for the most respected members. I think that this only works when you have a large community, not when there are 40 active people on the forum and split the activity in two parts!! This hurts the activity a lot, why did you ever implement this? Another thing is that the channels on IRC should be restored. IRC was an important part!!!

Activity brings activity!!!!!

There are also some changes needed in the game, but keep in mind that I did not had any account for more than two years! Make mine stealing very fast like 2 days or something like that! New players want to attack, the two weeks were too long, people are getting bored with such a long time! Maybe even make transports and barges before scouts? And make the rest longer? Like reducing time etc, but make sure that new players etc can attack very fast!

Reduce the ETA of defence with 1 (like it was years ago) and the minimum of attackers higher. Eta 4, eta 3 on CIC was too fast and no one could defend that!!

But try to keep the speed in the game!! A lot of rounds and somethimes implement something!! This was my addition (and maybe the last) to Alliance Wars.  Keep in mind to increase the running of the game and the lenght of the round, make it more attractive to new people redce defence eta-1, make the forums the same for everyone and after that start advertising and make AW great again!! Good luck.

Kind regards,

Glimi

p.s. If needed, I would be willing to act as a kind of game master, that I can start and finish a round (can not see in the database, but somehting coded that I can restart and start the game). And I would be willing to hang around on IRC and ingame (without playing) 24/7 to check if it is needed to restart a round or not and act like some explainer of the game to new people, because I think that the devs are too busy to do this job and can focus more on coding and stuff like that.

Round 5: 1:305 Rabbithunter of  Konatsate Gua
Round 6: 1:126 Lightbringer  of  Zetten BoB #11
Round 7: 1:2 Konstantinnidis of Naxos BoB SD
Round 7: 1:2 Nely of Dirksland Guild #19
Round 8: 1:53 Dark Knight of Forest GotL SD

I feel that game still will be able to recover it's original brilliance if we give it the effort that it needs. There have been many things at work that have worsened the game's conditions in times past, present, and perhaps future(We can change that still). I can say that I continue to play this game because of the few players that have been my good friends during the time. I used to play because I wanted to win and for the sake of playing.  Recently it's tougher to say that- you play because perhaps your friends do too- that's about it. The activity has been lacking for quite a long time- that leads to rounds seeming longer than they are- given that you win the game now in the first 2 weeks if not earlier in some cases- that needs to change. The downtime after a round is a killer as well. Even with the troublesome incidents involving a few players- who I cannot name- given my utter disgust I have for them and the rather pessimist attitudes in the community- the game was brilliant, activity was abundant, and it was good times back then..

Remember to raise the bar but do not give into astonishment.

I think the most important thing is more support for the devs. I've been in a few leadership roles between quitting the game and now, and I'm absolutely astounded in retrospect that our (un)holy trinity managed to run, manage, and develop the game so well for so long just amongst the three of them. When AW's renaissance does come, I think we'll need to utilize the old base of dedicated players not only as a veteran and mentor class but also as part-time workers for the Dev Team. The AW Wiki was a good example of this, and I think we could use a promotion/advertisment team, a graphics team, and more coders to do the "grunt work" while the big three work on core issues.

Not that only the old farts of we players should pitch in, it's just that they've proven how vulnerable they are to AW addiction already smile strong, new blood is of course always welcome too.

"This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the the press

Sage that's brilliant. I volunteer for promotion team!

23 (edited by The Dark Knight 2008-07-05 16:46:17)

Hmm, maybe we should create a whole new thread just to think of catchy slogans for Alliance Wars.  Or use Mynx's Sloganizer site.  It would be nice if we could think of something catchy to get people's attention.  Any thoughts?

This is in response to some of the conversation farther up regarding how the game was so big early on.  I think it had something to do with Planetarion (the popular space browser game of the time) becoming pay to play.  That game threw off a lot of people, and I know I came over from there (and Lithium, too, iirc).

I have been here a long time asweel, never talked on the forums though...just enjoyed the game. been here about 5 years aswell, since i was 12. I loved this game, i remember it being filled, now it;s dead. I will continute to play no matter what though

i am evil homer, i am evil homer!